Thursday, April 3, 2008

Frugal Recipe of the Week

As part of my money-saving efforts, I am aiming to develop my recipe stash for frugal meals. I developed this one last week after getting an organic, whole chicken on sale for about $8 and couldn't believe how easy it was:

Whole Chicken in a Crockpot
Wash and pat dry one whole chicken (make sure to remove giblets)
Place in crockpot.
Season with preferred herbs. (I used salt, pepper and mixed Italian herbs.)
Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours.
*Do not add liquid as it will create it own during cooking.
**Also do not expect to carve the meat as it is so tender that it literally falls off the bones.


The meat lasted me about 2 full meals for the two of us plus leftovers for the pets. I cooked up the giblets for the pets and they went mad for them. Now I know, I'll forgo spending on canned food. Also, since the meat basically comes out shredded, it's great for using in soups, pies, casseroles, etc. And I've held on to the leftover juices as it will be a good base for broth or gravy. So that ends up being about $2 a meal per person plus the cost of a couple of days of pet food.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that this is really really really way cheaper than buying bits at a time. but as a vegetarian (I buy the meat for my pups to those of you I dont know) I found it totally disturbing and I dont know if I will ever be the same again. but thanks for the idea Katie.

miz_g said...

I am trying this right this moment. with an organic, whole chicken I had to behead myself. take THAT for disturbing.